Monday, May 16, 2011

How to: Shop at Forever21


One secret I'm willing to share with you readers is that a lot of my closet comes from fast-fashion retailer Forever21. I think it's because I like the thrill of finding an amazing piece of clothing for a great price. As some of my friends have said, I'm a "freak" in Forever21. Meaning, I can find the diamond in the rough.

I know a lot of people have said that they just can't even venture into the store because it is so overwhelming. Hopefully these tips will ease your anxiety and help you score endless goodies like I have.

1. Go in with a mission. If you plan to tackle Forever21, shop with a main goal in mind. For example, if you really need some bright tank tops or a few floral dresses, shop only for that. Ask the sales associate (they are actually more helpful than you think) where the items you are looking for are located (they should know this!) and only shop there. DO NOT shop blindly. You WILL be overwhelmed.

2. Know when to shop. After visiting my local Forever21 at many times of the day and the week, I know when the best hours to shop, when the new merchandise is put out, and when the store is empty. For my store, Monday or Tuesday mornings before 2 p.m. is the best time to get all of the new inventory and shop quietly without chaos.

3. Quality of fabric is key. In order to garner a "Where did you get that?" question from friends, you must make sure the fabric is looks and feels rich. This means looking inside the garment to see what it is made of. I will not buy the item if it is made of 100% polyester or polyester-spandex. This SCREAMS Jersey Shore. Stick to fabrics made of rayon, silk, cotton, or a blend of these. If it is a polyester-rayon-silk blend, that is okay as well.

4. Shop Forever21 Online. If your Forever21 brick-and-mortar location is lacking, check online. A lot of times Forever21 will put items online that they will never carry in the store. Most recently, all of my great finds have come from the online store. Make sure you really look at the garment carefully, read the fabric type, and when in doubt about fit, always order a size up. If you spent $20 on the dress, a $15 tailoring job is worth every penny. Extra tip: If you spend $50, you get FREE shipping!

5. When in doubt, shop the jewelry. Still not sold on the clothing? The jewelry at Forever21 rarely disappoints. I have found so many great pairs of earrings and necklaces that are comparable to any other costume jewelry I own. If you are a teenager or young adult (like me), the jewelry at Forever21 is a great way to spend very little money and add pizazz to an outfit. Plus, if you lose or break anything, it's not the end of the world. You probably spent less than $10.

Here are my all-time best Forever21 finds:
white silk tank
cream cotton blazer, white tank, gold leaf chain
faux leather shorts
silk grey blazer
striped linen shorts
taupe silk shirt & linen shorts

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I "love" shopping at Forever 21 at Easton OHIO location.

    ReplyDelete